10/11/2010 10:39:00 AM

So, what have I been up to?

Mostly, interacting with people I thought I would never interact with.

  • Ex-convicts
  • Domestic violence perpetrators
  • Parole officers
  • Drunkards and druggies
  • Rape and abuse survivors
  • Suicidal vets
  • People who hear voices
  • Clients with frontal lobe injury which leads them to say/do inappropriate things
  • Trauma victims (not "OMG, I saw Saw 2 and I was traumatized" and more "I saw my buddy's arm tearing off from his shoulder, and I couldn't do anything")
I have really been smacked in the face with two facts:
1. I have been extremely sheltered, which is both a blessing and a curse
2. Human suffering is universal and much darker, sorrowful, and tangible than I cared to acknowledge previously
3. Being a female in an extremely male-dominated work culture is a double-edged sword

It's been a wild ride, and while I don't enjoy every minute of it, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

As a Christian, once my eyes have been opened to the extent of good and evil, joy and suffering in this world, there's no way I can go back and live in my little cocoon where I think going to a soup kitchen once every other month is an acceptable offering to God. I'm not slamming those who have dedicated themselves to this since I think what God requires of each person is different. I'm just saying that isn't for me.

Most important, I have learned to value the gift of my salvation, and understand much more fully what my life might have been like without it. I am in awe that God has chosen me and it is a privilege to be in a profession where I can serve Him in some of the darkest places: in people's hearts.

That's what I have been up to, since my internship started.

0 comments:

Post a Comment